9.3.06

An Open Letter to 89.3 The Current

Minneapolis has a new, brilliantly diverse public radio station. I listen to the station for its variety, and some day, when I am no longer struggling through school, I will even become a member.

But diversity always comes with problems. Today, I was assailed by such problems one time too many, and I feel the need to air my grievances.

Allow me to begin at the beginning. This afternoon was sunny and unseasonably warm for Minnesota, so as I drove past one of our many urban lakes, I rolled down the windows of my car. As I rounded the north side of the lake, the DJ announced the start of the next set, which featured Omega Watts, an up and coming hip hop group I enjoy. I turn up the radio and sing through the song. The sun hits my face as the next song starts, blaring out my open windows. Your Love is Better Than Chocolate by Sarah McLaughlin.

Now, I don’t have a particular problem with Sarah McLaughlin, but seriously, you cannot play a crank-up-the-volume-R&B single followed by a sensitive girl piano song about love and chocolate. Not only does Sarah kind of kill the upbeat mood, it makes those of us you enticed to turn up the radio look like pansies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home